These are the duties of a Deacon:
- To care for the Widows and the Fatherless. The benevolence ministry in the local church SHOULD be managed by the DEACON…not the PASTOR!
- Deacons should be the leaders of church outreach (See Phillip)
- Deacons should be your leaders in Church Education. (See Stephen)
- Deacons should be the overseers of church finances and resources (Not the Pastor) this goes against the mindset of most Churches! Especially in Pentecostal and Holiness churches. Many Baptist churches EMPOWER the Deacons and those churches that have Godly Deacons FLOURISH! Why because that is the way God established it! This is why it is important to have men FULL of the Holy Ghost, FULL of wisdom, and FULL of the Word holding the OFFICE of Deacon. Unfortunately we have made the office of Deacon a “flunky” position with NO AUTHORITY!
Deacons SHOULD Be:
- Deacons should be father figures for the fatherless boys in the congregation. When I accepted Christ at the age of 14 in Richmond, Virginia, the church I attended had a strong Deacon board that played basketball with the teen boys, taught a youth Bible Study, Ran the Boys Scout program, and created a Junior Deacon Board. All of these things helped me make a decision for Christ because there were strong men showing me the way!
- Deacons should take Communion to the hospitals and Nursing Homes.
- Deacons should be at the forefront of outreach in the community. (Remember Phillip and Stephen)
- A Deacon should be an example of male spirituality and strength in the church and the community. I remember all of the Deacons in my church were known throughout the community. Even unsaved people knew the Deacons because of the works they did in the community. (Youth Activities, Feeding Seniors, delivering groceries)
- As the office of Deacon was slowly eroded in the church a rise in ethical problems arose. Deacons are the key to good stewardship in local churches, if they are chosen with Biblical guidelines. (Full of The Spirit – Full of the Word – Full of Faith)