THE NATURAL MIND OF MAN HATES GOD AND LOVES SIN
When the Scriptures speak of the “carnal mind” of man or “the flesh” of man, it is speaking of his spiritual condition and attitude, until God converts such a person through a spiritual process of repentance.
We have many statements which confirm the weak and sinful condition of the human heart. Here are but a few:
- “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23)
- “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, “Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God” (Gal. 5:19-21)
- “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked : who can know it?” (Jeremiah 17:9)
- “Because the carnal mind is enmity [hatred] against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be” (Rom. 8:7)
- “What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one. There is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that does good no NOT ONE“(Rom.3:9-12)
- “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away” (Isaiah 64:6)
- “For God hath concluded them all [both the Jews & Gentiles — that’s all humanity] in unbelief, that He might have mercy upon all“ (Rom. 11:32)
Notice that God will need to “have mercy upon all” because “all have sinned.” God made the human race, and He made them spiritually weak, and as such are not able to obey the spiritual laws of God. Eve failed her first test. God told them what they could and could not eat. Eve immediately gave in to her “lust of flesh, lust of the eyes, and pride of life” when Satan presented her the opportunity. This weak spiritual mind and heart of Eve did not develop over a life-time of sinning, but was with her from her beginning. It therefore, behooves God to take away man’s stony heart and convert his carnal mind after they have served God’s purpose in the spiritual development of man. Paul gives us a detailed description of man’s natural makeup:
“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like” (Gal. 5:19-21)
Seriously, how could God love “adultery, witchcraft, drunkenness, and murder?” He couldn’t, and neither does God love people while committing such crimes.
“For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man” (Mark 7:21-23)
We are told:
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked [Heb. ‘exceedingly WEAK’]: who can know it?” (Jer. 17:9)